Friday, February 4, 2011

What Can Spark An Inspiration?

You'd be surprised. The answer is: "anything." The most mundane object in your home or a person you see in a crowd can trigger an inspiration.

How about that shifty-eyed guy you saw, lurking around at the mall? He might be the perfect character for that mystery that's been playing in your mind.

A song of dancing tulips, I'd learned as a child, blossomed into my first published children's story, Tulips of Love. A Christmas ornament of an angel child, seated on a guitar, sparked an idea for another story.

Royal Delftware Shop
And a scene in my third published story came from a calendar, showing a row of Dutch buildings crowned with elaborate gables. In my mind, I envisioned a young girl running down that street, searching for a china shop. She'd broken her mother's favorite porcelain dish and had to replace it before her mother discovered it missing.

When paging through my Indian scrapbook, I knew, as soon as I saw her, the little Indian girl painting pottery belonged in another story of mine.

A picture file is very useful for finding your characters. When I began writing my novel, I'd pictured both my hero and heroine with dark hair. However, my sister suggested, since my story was set in the Netherlands, at least one of the main characters should be blond. Good point. But I felt at a loss. I already knew Anneke as a brunette. I had to get to know her all over again, which was hard. So I went to my picture file and, voila! There she was, with her long, blond hair and beautiful smile. I knew her at once, and now I can't even imagine Anneke having dark hair.

After finding Anneke's true identity, I searched my files and found the perfect picture of each of my characters. The collage now hangs on the wall above my computer desk so, as I write, I can see these characters. They're so real to me, I know them personally. And that makes writing all the more fun.

So, look around you and find that person, picture, or object that intrigues you. It just may be the inspiration for your first book.


But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given to him.   James 1:5

4 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying your blog, Mom! I've always felt that the characters in my stories eventually ended up as caricatures rather than individuals. I think your idea of founding a character with a face is the perfect way to guide the development of their personality.

    And I am looking forward to one day reading about this railroad-era romantic rendezvous. And seeing the faces you've chosen to inspire you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark,
    It's so good to see you name and comment on my post! I'm really glad you're enjoying it.

    You're a riot! Hmmm, I'll have to think about that railroad era romantic rendezvous. You'll be the first to know, if anything develops with that saga. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guin, I didn't know you had pictures ideas for your characters. I would love to see them. Are you working on book 2 or still tweeking the first one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Cindy,
    Thanks for visiting my blog! I'll be glad to show you my "Collage of Characters." You want to stop over sometime?

    Book 1 is done and I'm working on the almost final draft of the sequel.

    ReplyDelete