Friday, January 28, 2011

Inspired by Wooden Shoes

My passion is the Netherlands. I was born in Michigan, the state with the highest Dutch population in the United States. But several objects in my childhood home are what inspired my love for Holland. In fact, a pair of miniature wooden shoes that belonged to my mother found their way into my novel.

I began writing and telling stories as a child, and wrote poems to my mother, enclosing them in May Day baskets and Mother's Day gifts. When I was a teenager, the neighborhood kids would gather in our backyard at the gym set, and ask me to tell them a story. Sadly, I don't remember any of those tales. Later, I made up stories for my children on our long trips out west.

In fifth grade, my interest turned to romance. When I read about the building of the railroad across the nation, the caption, "The two met in Utah," brought no image of eastern and western teams meeting to connect their rails. Instead, I envisioned a young couple's rendezvous. But this scenario never developed into a story.

I can even claim a Dutch relative, though I never knew him. My mother's great or great, great grandfather came to America by ship in his wooden shoes. I would have loved to have known him and to hear him tell of his life in the Netherlands.

If you are Dutch, or have visited the Netherlands, or are interested in or intrigued by this country, I would love to hear from you and have you share your knowledge and experiences with me. And even if you're not Dutch and you have no Dutch-related adventures to write about, I'd still love to hear from you.

                  A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.  Proverbs 25:11

4 comments:

  1. Mom,
    I loved reading your blog! You are a wonderful story teller and I will never forget the stories you told us on our trips out west. :o) The story about the little animals that brought spring to the snow covered forest has always been my favorite! You most certainly have a way with words! Congratulations on your first blog! I can't wait to read more!
    Love,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Angela, you're the first one to post a comment on my blog! :O) It's great getting one from my dear daughter. Yes, those sure were precious memories, driving out to Texas every summer and making up stories. I can remember asking you a couple years later, if you remembered how that story went, because I wanted to write it down. And you did! So between you and either David or Jonathan, we pieced it all together. :O) Good job, Angela!
    Have a good week.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. mom, i just love your blog! from the pictures to the layout to your choice of words... you really are a gifted writer! i can't wait to read your next post. i love you, mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jonathan. It's so good to receive a comment from my dear son who's way off in Japan! Each Friday morning there will be a new post.
    Do you remember when I put together a Dutch boy's costume and had you and Mark pose as the boy in my story whose father was shipwrecked? Wow, where does the time go?
    Have a great day, Jonathan.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete